Monday 12 May 2014

Everybody loves pancakes, right?

Pancakes are my favourite. I like them for breakfast, I like them for lunch.. I reckon I could even eat them for dinner. In short, I love pancakes.

What I don't love however is how unhealthy they can be. 

Thats why I decided to try to make my own healthier alternative.

I looked online, checking out different recipes, taking bits and pieces from recipes I liked and I managed to come up with a recipe I'm pretty happy with. plus they tasted really good! 





Banana and raspberry pancakes
Makes around 6-8 small pancakes

Ingredients

1 banana (Make sure it's ripe)
100g raspberries fresh/frozen (You could also use blueberries, strawberries etc or even leave this part out and make plain pancakes)
200ml unsweetened almond milk
200g multipurpose flour (You could also use gluten free flour if you prefer)
1 teaspoon vanilla/maple syrup (This is optional, if you haven't got any in it won't make a huge difference)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Instructions

If you have a food processor/blender, puree the banana, almond milk and vanilla/maple syrup. If you haven't got a food processor/blender you can mash it together by hand, its just a little more work. You want the mixture to be pretty runny.

In a bowl mix all of the dry ingredients together, then pour your liquid mixture in and mix together until its combined. At this point you'll want to stir your berries in.

Heat your frying pan/pancake maker/griddle to a medium heat and pour some oil (coconut is best) or spread some butter over to avoid the pancakes sticking. 

Pour the mixture onto your heated pan, its up to you big you want your pancakes to be so you can decide how much mixture you pour on. 

Once bubbles have started to form in the batter, flip your pancake. Let the second side cook for between 45 to 60 seconds and remove from the heat. I normally check my first pancake to see that it properly cooked the whole way through. If it is, perfect. If not, lower the heat slightly and cook for a while longer.

While I'm making the rest of my pancakes I normally leave the already cooked one's in the oven at about 80C°, so that when you're ready to eat them they're still nice and warm.

Toppings

When it comes to toppings you don't want to ruin your hard work and choose really unhealthy options, so I usually choose one or a combination of the healthier options below.

Raspberries
Blueberries
Strawberries
Greek yogurt
Lemon juice
Flaked almonds
Cacao nibs
Nut butters
Cinnamon
Honey 

So there we have it guys, yummy pancakes that aren't TOO bad for you!
Let me know if any of you try the recipe, or if you have any good tips/healthy recipes I can try!

Rachael x







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger & Blogspot Templates from pipdig