Wednesday 16 April 2014

Smoothie Time.

Spring has finally sprung! Its starting to heat up in little old Belfast and I've finally been able to ditch my stodgy porridge breakfasts and start my days with something a little lighter and brighter (Sorry porridge, I still love you!). My go to breakfast choice recently has been a good old smoothie. I love smoothies. They're super quick to make, they're an easy way to get some extra fruit/veg into your diet and are perfect for breakfast on the go. If, like me you leave the house at 7am this is absolutely vital!

Seeing as I'm loving the smoothies so much at the minute, I thought I'd share some of my favourite combo's and recipes with you guys.

First up though, if you're gonna make a great smoothie, you gotta have the right blender/smoothie maker!

My smoothie maker of choice is this bad boy:




Its a smoothie maker, blender, juicer and grinder. I'll be honest, I've only used it to make smoothies, but you can supposedly use it for lots of other things! My favourite bit about it is that it comes with a 1L container to make your smoothie in, once you've made it you remove it from the smoothie maker, pop on a lid and you're good to go! Which means you only have one thing to wash later on! I paid £27.99 for this as it was on offer on Amazon, total bargain! 

Moving onto the making of the smoothies. I like something quick, usually I'm in a rush, pulling my shoes on, grabbing stuff from the fridge trying not to wake everyone else. For this reason my breakfast smoothies tend to be pretty simple!




I generally go for 200ml unsweetened almond milk, a frozen banana (it gives it a nice creamy texture) and about 200g of blueberries/raspberries/strawberries. I sometimes add in a tablespoon of peanut butter too for protein. Be careful with the PB if you decide to add it, don't use too much, although its a great source of protein, it is quite high in fat. Finally I add a teaspoon of Matcha green tea powder, which is basically just a really concentrated green tea powder, its perfect if you don't like the taste of normal green tea as it doesn't give much flavour in a smoothie. If you're interested you can have a read about the health benefits of Matcha tea here

For those of you who prefer a less sweet smoothie, this recipe is great. Its made up of greek yogurt, nut butter, blueberries, pineapple, kale and water. I must warn you, if you're new to using vegetables in your smoothies it might take a while to get used to the taste, but if you can hack it its a great way to get some veggies into your diet!

Here are a few more of my fave smoothie recipes:







If you've recently introduced smoothies into your diet, this Pop Sugar article is really useful, it'll keep you right and explain what to add to your smoothies in order to be as healthy as possible!

Thanks for reading guys, let me know your favourite recipes in the comments!

Rachael x










No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger & Blogspot Templates from pipdig